About Roncopathy and Sleep Apnea
What are snoring and sleep apnea?
Clínica Eupnea Palamós studies sleep apnea syndrome. It is common in the population, in snoring people, with excessive drowsiness or a bad night’s rest.
It can also occur in people with a history of arrhythmias, heart attacks or headaches. Overweight and poor blood pressure control are also associated with it.
A pulmonologist will perform the medical evaluation and recommend the most appropriate diagnostic study to the person you have consulted. It will issue the report of the medical tests performed and will follow up in the event of a diagnosis of the syndrome.
The possible recommended treatments are:
- Ventilatory devices
- Hygienic sleep measures and advice from a psychologist if necessary
- Review by an otolaryngologist in case of nasal, tonsil or other abnormalities
- Mandibular advancement prosthesis or review by a dentist
- Cardiological examination when the syndrome is severe.
Do you suffer from sleep apnea and/or snoring? At Clínica Eupnea Palamós we work to treat these disorders with professionalism and dedication.
DIAGNOSTIC STUDIES AT CLINIC EUPNEA PALAMÓS
- Continuous nocturnal pulse oximetry : Test used to monitor the oxygenation a person presents during the night or sleep together with heart rate analysis. It is a useful test for the screening of sleep apnea syndrome and for the detection of nocturnal respiratory insufficiency.
- Nocturnal home polygraphy or sleep study : It is a technique that is carried out at home. It consists in the monitoring and recording of cardiorespiratory variables. This is a specific study for cases of snoring, apneas and hypoapneas. During this test, oxygenation, heartbeat, airflow, snoring, and chest and abdominal movements are analyzed.
- Actigraphy : Test necessary for the study of a person’s sleep-wake alternation over hours, days or weeks. It is useful for the analysis of sleep disorders – wakefulness, drowsiness and insomnia.
- CPAP titration : It is a complementary test to the nocturnal polygraph as it manages to determine the optimal pressure to remove apneas and snoring.