WHAT IS A BIOPSY?
A biopsy is a procedure to remove a sample of tissue or cells from the body to be analyzed in a laboratory using a microscope.
Thanks to the biopsy it is possible to diagnose or rule out some diseases such as cancer, psoriasis, liver diseases, etc.
The most common types of biopsy are 4: incisional biopsy , excisional biopsy , fine needle biopsy and coarse needle biopsy .
- INCISION BIOPSY: Only a sample of the tissue is removed with the help of a scalpel. Depending on the area to be analyzed and the size of the sample, local or general anesthesia will be used.
- EXCISION BIOPSY: All of the suspicious tissue is removed using a scalpel. This type of biopsy requires stitches and, like an incisional biopsy, both local and general anesthesia can be used, depending on the area of the body to be analyzed.
- FINE NEEDLE BIOPSY: A very fine, hollow needle is used to aspirate a small amount of tissue or fluid from the muscles, bones and other organs that are to be studied. This type of biopsy does not require surgery.
- COARSE NEEDLE BIOPSY: The process and function is similar to a fine needle biopsy, except that for this case the doctor will use a thicker hollow needle and remove a larger amount of fluid or tissue.
WHY IS A BIOPSY USED?
A biopsy test can help diagnose a disease or determine the cause of some symptoms such as:
- A mass Through the biopsy and its subsequent analysis in the laboratory, it can be determined whether a mass is a cyst, fat, an infection, or a benign or malignant tumor.
- An infection . The analysis of a biopsy can determine which pathogens are causing an infection and, in this way, the most appropriate medication can be established.
- An inflammation . A biopsy makes it possible to study the causes of an inflammation as well as the types of cells that are affected.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE?
Almost all biopsies are performed on an outpatient basis with minimal preparation. However, it must be taken into account that this test constitutes a small intervention and that, therefore, anesthesia or sedation will be used.
From Clínica Eupnea, depending on the type of biopsy that needs to be carried out, we will instruct our patients in detail about the preparation and procedure of the biopsy.
Even so, in general, we can list some of the most common indications, such as:
– Do not eat or drink 8 hours before the test.
– Tell the doctor about the daily medication.
– Also inform about possible allergies,
– It is convenient to come with someone when having a biopsy.